How to get started with ActiveCampaign email marketing
How does Customer Experience Automation help you grow your business?
Reach & Engage
Nurture & Educate
Convert & Close
Support & Grow
Table Of Contents
Follow these steps to get started with email marketing
Create a contact list in your ActiveCampaign account
- How to set up a list in ActiveCampaign
- Where to find more information on lists and segmentation
Add your existing email contacts to your new list
- How to import contacts from a CSV file
- The three primary ways to import contacts
- How to map new contacts to your lists and custom fields
Create and send your email campaign
You’re ready to send a campaign. How do you create a new campaign, build an email in the email designer, and choose which segment of your contacts you want to send to? The ActiveCampaign drag-and-drop email builder makes it easy to send beautiful, targeted email campaigns fast.
- How to choose which segment of contacts to send to
- How to customize your emails in the drag-and-drop designer
- How to adjust subject lines, from names, and link tracking before sending your campaign
Send your campaign
Save your campaign design as an email template
- How to create custom email templates
- How to save past emails as email templates
- How to use email templates in both email campaigns and automations
Get your templates
Start with your most valuable email
Email marketing is incredibly powerful, but there’s one specific email that has the biggest impact on your business. Right after someone signs up is the moment they’re most interested in what you have to say — set up a welcome email to catch new contacts when they’re most likely to pay attention.
- Why more people open and click on welcome emails
- How to trigger an email to send when someone fills out a form
- How to automatically follow up with contacts who don’t open your email
Set up a welcome email
See your clicks, opens, and other important reports
- How to find the revenue generated by your email campaigns
- How to see the clicks, opens, bounces, unsubscribes, and other core email metrics
Get started with segmentation
- How to get started with segmentation
- The difference between lists, tags, and custom fields
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the types of email marketing?
How can I improve my email marketing?
What is the success rate of email marketing?
How do I learn more about email deliverability at ActiveCampaign?
How do you fix email deliverability?
This is a common question with a multitude of answers: think of email deliverability as a credit score, impacted by many factors. But there are a few quick wins you can use to improve your deliverability. Keep your emails out of the spam folder by following these tips, and more:
- Remove inactive contacts: Inactive contacts bring down your open rates. Use an automation recipe to track engagement, and remove contacts who have gone cold from your targeted sends.
- Focus on good, engaging content: Send the content your contact signed up for. Make sure to remain fresh and interesting, and don’t over-send the same tired promotions.
- Review your signup process, and think like a subscriber: Have you tried to be a secret shopper… for yourself? Go through the process of signing up for your own emails, and deliver on the value you promised.
- Send more targeted, triggered, personalized emails as opposed to batch and blast campaigns: Don’t send all of your emails to all of your contacts. Use the segment builder to create your segments, and then check the list to see how many people meet your criteria. Make your segment more specific, if necessary.
- Sending frequency: It takes time to learn how often your contacts want to hear from you. Oversending emails may cause contacts to mark you as spam. But if you send too infrequently, your message may never make it to their inbox because you haven’t built up your sender reputation.
- Find more tips here: Why is my email going to the spam folder? How to improve email deliverability
Get step-by-step instructions for every part of ActiveCampaign
If you’re looking for instructions on a specific area of the platform, find them here.
Attend an event with ActiveCampaign
Webinars and events