The landscape of digital marketing changes constantly.
So how can you stay aware?
Reviewing the latest digital marketing statistics is a good starting point.
By looking at the latest statistics in digital marketing, you can adjust your marketing strategy.
Whether you’re focused on content marketing, search engine optimization, or paid advertising, we’ve got you covered.
Keep reading to get the latest digital marketing statistics and trends for 2022, including:
- Why is digital marketing important in 2022?
- Core web vitals and site speed statistics
- Search engine optimization (SEO) statistics
- Social media marketing stats
- Mobile vs. desktop in 2022
- Content marketing statistics
- Paid advertising statistics
- Video marketing statistics
- Email marketing statistics
Why is digital marketing important in 2022?
Digital marketing offers new opportunities for your business. Since it’s highly measurable and adaptable, you can customize your digital marketing efforts to meet your business goals.
- More than 75% of consumers took a new interest in online activities in 2020. Of those, 21% purchased a product online for the first time. (Qualtrics, 2022)
- 80% of people prefer to buy from brands whose actions align with their values. (KPMG, 2020)
- Companies that excel at nurturing leads with inbound marketing make 50% more sales. (Marketo, 2020)
- 85% of marketers believe that consumers expect a personalized experience. (Evergage, 2019)
- 86% of marketers increased brand awareness by using one or more digital marketing channels. (Content Marketing Institute, 2020)
- 79% of marketers educated their audience via digital marketing. (Content Marketing Institute, 2020)
- 75% of marketers increased their company’s credibility and trust with digital marketing tactics. (Content Marketing Institute, 2020)
- 75% of agency marketers said that email marketing has excellent or good ROI. (Statista, 2019)
- 74% of marketers said that SEO has excellent or good ROI. (Statista, 2019)
- 73% of marketers said that content marketing has excellent or good ROI. (Statista, 2019)
- 61% of marketers said that paid search has excellent or good ROI. (Statista, 2019)
- 56% of marketers said that social media marketing has excellent or good ROI. (Statista, 2019)
In 2020, the landscape of consumer behavior changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
More consumers began shopping online and became selective with their purchases. They also wanted to build connections with the companies they bought from.
Not to mention, these consumers wanted a personalized experience.
These are just a few of the reasons digital marketing is important in 2022.
Digital marketing allows your brand to tailor your marketing activity to the needs of your consumers.
Using marketing technology, you can create a personalized user experience from start to finish.
Take ActiveCampaign, for example. Our marketing automation software helps businesses target consumers at the right time, with the right information.
Although some digital marketing channels are more effective than others, the beauty of a digital marketing strategy is that you can build a combination of channels and tactics that works for your audience.
[blog-subscribe headline=”Want to see OUR digital marketing strategy in action?” description=”Step 1: Put your email below. Step 2: Get our best digital marketing advice once each week.”]
Core web vitals and site speed
Core web vitals are one of the most important quantifiable updates Google has made in recent years. Here are 6 digital marketing statistics you can use to improve your website’s performance:
- A 0-4 second load time is best for conversion rates. (Portent, 2019)
- Largest contentful paint (LCP) measures loading performance. LCP should happen within 2.5 seconds to provide a good user experience. (web.dev, 2020)
- A 1-second delay can reduce customer satisfaction by 16%. (Website Builder Expert, 2021)
- Mobile devices (phones and tablets) accounted for 60.9% of organic searches on Google in Q2 2021. (Merkle, 2021)
- 70% of websites in Google’s search results use mobile-first indexing. (Google Search Central, 2020)
- Google removed 37% of URLs from their top 10 when the search query was made from a mobile device. (SEMRush, 2021)
Site performance can impact user experience and can affect your conversions.
To increase your chances of getting a conversion, aim for a zero to two-second load time. Take advantage of site tracking tools to monitor how your site is performing and spot areas for improvement.
To give your site a higher chance of ranking on Google, make sure it’s both mobile-friendly and indexed for mobile use. Take a look at this mobile-indexing outline from Google for more information.
Search engine optimization (SEO) in 2022
SEO, or search engine optimization, encompasses content creation, authority and link building, and technical elements to help your company website rank on Google and other search engines. It’s a complex digital marketing channel, so use these organic search statistics to keep track of current trends:
- As of June 2021 – 87.8% of searches come from Google, Bing is 5.6%. (Statista, 2021)
- The number one ranked website on Google’s search results has an average click-through rate (CTR) of 31.7%. (Backlinko, 2019)
- The #1 result has 3.8x more backlinks than the results ranking #2-#10 (Backlinko, 2020)
- Less than 1% of online users click on something from Google’s second page. (Backlinko, 2019)
- 90.63% of pages get no organic search traffic from Google after the first year of publishing. Only 0.21% gets 1001+ visits. (Ahrefs, 2020)
- Small businesses spent $26.87 billion on SEO in 2020. (Statista, 2020)
- Google makes up 87.7% of the global search engine share, followed by Bing at 5.56%. (Statista, 2021)
- B2B blogs with educational content get 52% more organic traffic than B2B blogs with company-focused content. (Backlinko, 2021)
- If you’re looking to build backlinks, longform content gets 77.2% more links than short articles. (Backlinko, 2019)
- 40% of online search queries contain two keywords. (Statista, 2020)
- 14.1% of all Google searches are in the form of a question. (Backlinko, 2020)
- Only 2.4% of all Google search results have no SERP features, like People Also Ask questions, an image carousel, or a knowledge panel. (Backlinko, 2020)
SEO works best when you inform your audience, not sell to them. By understanding keywords and search terms, you can tailor your content to both your industry and audience for maximum impact.
SEO involves improving the ranking of web pages in search results. It helps you get your website in front of the right people at the right time.
For 2021, the statistics reinforce what we already know about SEO:
- Google is the most popular search engine.
- The higher the ranking on Google, the more likely it is to get clicked.
- Pages that have more backlinks tend to rank better in search.
- Google indexes and evaluates the mobile version of your website.
The core tenants of SEO have been the same over the past few years. Content that matches searcher intent has a higher chance of ranking in search. Page speed and backlinks can amplify the ability for content to rank.
Keep these core ranking factors in mind when building out your SEO strategy.
Social media marketing stats for 2022
When it comes to social media marketing, it’s easy to think you need to be on every social media platform to reach every possible new customer.
But just because a social media platform exists doesn’t necessarily mean you must have a presence there. Instead, you’ll need to carefully consider which social media platforms work best for your audience, industry, and marketing goals.
- 85.7% of marketers increased their social media activity when the pandemic began. (Statista, 2021)
- Marketers post on social media on average three to four times per week. (G2, 2020)
- As of March 2020, 29.7% of social media users spent an additional one to two hours per day on social media. (Statista, 2021)
- 66% of marketers use social media to generate leads. (G2, 2020)
- 81% of marketers integrate their social networks with commerce systems. (G2, 2020)
- 68% of marketers report using a social media influencer in a campaign. (G2, 2020)
- Social consumer segmentation helps marketers understand if their social media programs resonate with the target audience. (Forrester, 2021)
- Roughly 80% of online consumers have made a purchase from social media ads. (Statista, 2019)
- 73% of social media marketers set a goal of acquiring new customers. (Hootsuite, 2021)
- 64% of social media marketers intend to increase brand awareness. (Hootsuite, 2021)
- 45% of social media marketers are looking to drive conversions. (Hootsuite, 2021)
- Facebook is the most popular social media platform, used by 94% of B2B and B2C marketers. (Statista, 2021)
- 76% of marketers use Instagram (Statista, 2021)
- 67% of marketers worldwide say they’ll increase Instagram use in the future (Statista, 2021)
- 95% of B2B marketers used LinkedIn in 2020, making it the top B2B social media channel. (Content Marketing Institute, 2020)
- To maximize social shares, aim for your content to be between 1,000 and 2,000 words long. (Backlinko, 2019)
Social media marketing typically focuses on top of funnel marketing activities, such as brand awareness. It’s an important component of retargeting campaigns or any multichannel digital strategy.
More people used social media in 2020 than ever before. It became a way to connect with other people when they were unable to meet face-to-face.
As a result, businesses increased their use of social media.
With users spending more time on the channel, it was a great opportunity for businesses to reach a wider audience and engage with existing customers.
The most popular social media platforms
- Facebook was the most-used social platform in the U.S. when the pandemic hit (78.1%), followed by Instagram (49.5%). (Statista, 2021)
- Facebook is the most popular social media platform used by B2B marketers. (G2, 2020)
- B2B marketers agree that Linkedin is the most effective social media channel for lead generation, but only 47% of them actively use it. (G2, 2020)
- YouTube is the second most popular website after Google. (G2, 2020)
Facebook is the most popular social media channel unless you’re a B2B marketer. Then you need to useLinkedIn.
But using the most popular platforms doesn’t mean sales for your business.
Select a channel based on your customers and experiment with new ways to engage your audience.
Mobile vs. desktop in 2022
- Mobile devices account for 55% of the global market share, followed by desktops at 42%. (StatCounter, 2021)
- 25% of Internet users access the Internet solely on a mobile device. (G2, 2020)
- Consumers will download nearly 300 million mobile apps by 2023. (Cisco, 2020)
- 59% of consumers say that being able to shop on mobile is important when deciding where to buy. (G2, 2020)
- Mobile devices generate about half of all website traffic globally. (G2, 2020)
Mobile usage increased in 2020, and figures suggest it’ll continue to grow.
Take mobile marketing into account. Whether that’s designing your website for mobile or making sure your marketing emails are mobile-friendly.
Mobile marketing stats
It’s no secret we spend a ton of time on our phones. So the question becomes: how do you take advantage of that as a marketer?
As mobile device use rises and mobile commerce becomes a bigger slice of the retail pie, there are plenty of opportunities for your business to take advantage of the mobile boom.
- On average, companies spend 18.5% of their marketing budget on mobile marketing efforts. (Statista, 2021)
- Consumers spend about 4.2 hours per day on mobile devices, up 20% from last year. (App Annie, 2021)
- Mobile commerce (m-commerce) grew by more than 30% worldwide throughout 2020. (App Annie, 2021)
- Use of business communication apps grew 275% in 2020, a habit that may build a bridge between B2B and B2C consumer habits. (App Annie, 2021)
- 77% of mobile internet users found targeted mobile ads annoying rather than helpful. (Statista, 2019)
Mobile marketing is still growing and evolving. Keep an eye out for new trends, so you’re ready to hit the ground running.
Content marketing statistics for 2022
Content marketing supports other digital marketing strategies such as SEO and email marketing. By creating high-quality, informative content, you’ll build a strong foundation for education and inspiring your audience that pays off big time.
There are plenty of ways to distribute content to your audience. What matters most is creating a content strategy that builds trust and helps your audience make a smart purchasing decision.
- 62% of marketers plan to increase content marketing budgets within the next fiscal year. (G2, 2020)
- 80% of B2B companies use content marketing for lead generation. (G2, 2020)
- 74% of marketers said the pandemic made them more likely to use video, and 24% used video for the first time in 2020 (Wyzowl, 2021)
- It’s estimated that 82% of consumer internet traffic will be video in 2021. (Cisco, 2020)
- 59% of B2C marketers increased their content marketing budgets in 2020 compared to 2019. (Statista, 2020)
- 83% of B2C content marketers use blog posts or short articles in their strategy. (Statista, 2020)
- 74% of B2C marketers said they used email newsletters for content marketing. (Statista, 2020)
- 38% of B2B company blogs publish content to educate their audience. (Backlinko, 2021)
- 86% of B2B content marketers believe their audience sees them as trusted sources in their niche. (Content Marketing Institute, 2020)
- 85% of B2B content marketers use email marketing software to assist with content marketing. (Content Marketing Institute, 2020)
- 88% of the most successful content marketers prioritize audience information over sales messages, compared to 50% of the least successful content marketers. (Content Marketing Institute, 2020)
Content marketing involves creating and publishing a variety of online content, including blog posts, social media posts, videos, and ebooks.
In 2020, we saw a big spike in video marketing content. With the interest in video continuing to rise in 2021, seize the opportunity to use video as part of your marketing strategy.
How to use content marketing
- Blogs (86%), case studies (42%), and customer success stories (36%) are the most popular content formats. (G2, 2020)
- Listicles get the most shares online and more traffic than other types of blogs. (SEMRush, 2019)
- 86% of businesses use video as a marketing tool, an increase of 41% from 2016. (Wyzowl, 2021)
- 19% of marketers report producing original research and studies. (G2, 2020)
- Articles with long headlines (14+ words) get more traffic, more shares, and more backlinks than those with short headlines (7-10 words). (SEMRush, 2019)
- 51% of companies say updating old content has proven the most efficient tactic for their content marketing strategy. (G2, 2020)
- Longreads (3,000+ words) get more traffic, shares, and backlinks than articles of average length (901-1,200 words) (SEMRush, 2019)
- A well-structured content format is more likely to see a high performance. (SEMRush, 2019)
- In July 2020, 67% of marketers used virtual events as part of their content marketing strategies. (Statista, 2021)
Ultimately, the best type of content for your business will depend on what you want to achieve.
Do you want to be a thought leader? Long reads and original research is the way to go.
Or do you want to increase your website traffic? Listicles could be your best bet.
Whatever you choose, make sure your content is aligned with your business goals. This will give your content purpose and help your company succeed.
Paid advertising in 2022
- The average person sees 5,000 ads per day. (G2, 2020)
- 54% of customers get annoyed when targeted with an ad for something they’ve already bought. (G2, 2020)
- In 2020, mobile ad placements increased by 70%. (App Annie, 2020)
- Mobile video ad spend will be around 72% of the digital ad spend in 2021. (G2, 2020)
- Total digital ad spending will reach $455.30 billion this year. (eMarketer, 2021)
- 55.2% of ad spend will go to display ads, and 40.2% will go to search. (eMarketer, 2021)
Paid advertising allows businesses to promote a product or service with online ads. Marketers use ads to target consumers throughout the sales funnel. If done well, you can increase sales.
Not only do they help you reach more potential customers, but you also can use ads to personalize the consumer experience — and we already know that consumers want a personalized experience.
To make the most of paid ads, you need to know who you want to target, what types of ads you want to use, and how much you’re willing to spend.
Check out our blog post about paid search marketing to learn more.
Paid ads didn’t perform as expected in 2020, but rebounded in 2021
- Global ad spend projections dropped around $20 billion because of the pandemic. (Statista, 2020)
- Openness to engage with social ads increased due to the pandemic. (Statista, 2020)
- Digital ad spending increased 12.7% in 2020, which is less than the predicted 13.6%. (eMarketer, 2021)
- As the ad market rebounds in 2021, digital spending will increase by 20.4%. (eMarketer, 2021)
The amount of money invested in ads last year didn’t meet predictions. The pandemic influenced how businesses used ads and how consumers engaged with them.
But don’t be deceived by these numbers. Estimates show that ad spend will make a comeback this year.
Ad types vary depending on the platforms you use. From Google search and display ads to social media ads on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube, find the right platform for your audience to avoid unnecessary spending.
Video marketing stats for 2022
Video is a rapidly growing segment of content marketing. A video marketing strategy is more resource-intensive than developing a blog or email newsletter, but it comes with its own unique benefits and approaches.
- Video marketing use has increased by 41% since 2016. (Wyzowl, 2020)
- 87% of video marketers used YouTube last year, making it the most widely used video marketing platform for the seventh year in a row. (Wyzowl, 2020)
- 96% of consumers have watched a video about a product or service. (Wyzowl, 2020)
- 84% of consumers purchased a product because they watched a marketing video. (Wyzowl, 2020)
- 78% of video marketers say video has directly helped increase sales (Wyzowl, 2020)
Video marketing is a powerful tool for your digital marketing strategy, helping you reach new segments of your target audience.
Email marketing stats
Email marketing remains a powerful tool for reaching your consumers directly, especially in B2B companies.
- 85% of B2B companies use email marketing software to distribute and manage their content. (Content Marketing Institute, 2020)
- Email marketing has an average conversion rate of 3.71%. (Optinmonster, 2020)
- 48% of B2B digital marketing professionals said email marketing was highly effective in driving conversions. (Statista, 2019)
For more insights into email marketing, check out our roundup of the top email marketing statistics.
Digital marketing automation stats
Let’s pivot to look at marketing automation. This technique helps you and your team reduce manual tasks and improves your digital marketing strategy’s accuracy, personalization, and more.
- 75% of businesses currently use marketing automation tools. (Social Media Today, 2019)
- 17.4% of marketers said marketing automation was the single most effective digital marketing technique — more effective than social media, CRO, and SEO. (Statista, 2020)
- 48% of marketers use marketing automation to create personalized customer experiences. (House of Marketing, 2019)
- 67% of marketers use email marketing solutions to execute personalization in their campaigns (Statista, 2020)
- Despite shrinking overall marketing budgets, 26.6% of CMOs say they’ll increase their budget for marketing technology such as automation tools. (Gartner, 2021)
Marketing automation is an increasingly important element of digital marketing across industries. Get started with your automation efforts now to get ahead of your competitors.
Lead generation and nurturing stats
The right lead generation and nurturing strategy make a huge difference in the quantity and quality of your leads. You’ll need to find the right channels and use the right tactics to get qualified leads that ultimately become sales.
- 50% of B2B marketers say email is the most effective channel for lead generation, followed closely by search engine optimization. (Statista, 2019)
- 83% of B2B content marketers say they’ve successfully used content marketing to nurture leads and subscribers. (Content Marketing Institute, 2020).
- 60% of B2B marketers say they waste time and resources addressing lead generation challenges like creating engaging content and gathering accurate data. (Wpromote, 2021)
- 49% of marketers believe their lead nurturing programs need improvement. (Demand Gen Report, 2020)
- 35% of marketers reach out to their leads weekly, with 22% contacting them every three days. (Demand Gen Report, 2020)
Like all elements of an effective digital marketing strategy, you’ll have to devise your lead generation approach based on your audience’s needs and wants. Then, you can nurture them throughout the sales funnel until a lead becomes a customer.
Ecommerce marketing stats
Ecommerce marketing requires a different approach than lead generation, regardless of whether you’re a B2B or B2C company. Tactics like influencer marketing and email offers and discounts are more effective.
- Ecommerce sales are expected to make up 15% of all retail sales in 2021. (Statista, 2020)
- 52% of European ecommerce retailers say influencer marketing offers the best ROI for their business, but they expect that to shift to social media advertising by 2030. (Statista, 2020)
- 75% of ecommerce stores are working or plan to work with social media influencers in 2020 and beyond. (Statista, 2020)
- 76% of ecommerce companies plan to expand or improve their personalization technology. (Statista, 2020)
- 72% of ecommerce marketers use Facebook for digital marketing. (Kantar, 2021)
- 41% of consumers say the product detail page (PDP) was the most important touchpoint during their customer journey. (Kantar, 2021)
- Only 37% of marketers optimize their PDPs for SEO. (Kantar, 2021)
Social media plays an important role in ecommerce marketing, especially in the B2B space. Pay close attention to social media trends and pivot your strategy to accommodate those when they impact key audience segments.
Improve your digital marketing strategy for 2022
The field of digital marketing is ever-expanding, so we update this guide every year with some of the most important digital marketing statistics and trends that will impact your business, currently in 2022.
While some concepts, like creating useful, trustworthy content for your audience, haven’t gone anywhere, there are a few things to look out for as you plan for the future of your business.
In this article, we explored the latest on content marketing, social media, SEO, and marketing automation to make your campaigns run more efficiently.
Want way to make your digital marketing strategy easier to manage?
Marketing automation targets your audience at the right time and place.
Whether that’s welcome automations or win-back campaigns — ActiveCampaign makes digital marketing less overwhelming.