“The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more.” – Nick Fury, The Avengers.
Avengers: Endgame is the highest-grossing film of all time. Ok, sure, part of that is the special effects and a charismatic cast…but those things wouldn’t matter without the great story at the franchise’s heart.
Audiences love a story about people who come together to collaborate on a seemingly impossible task.
That’s because collaboration can be scary. What if you don’t like your partner’s ideas? And (gasp!) what if they don’t like your ideas? Maybe it’s just better to go it alone, after all?
Not so fast! A study from Stanford led researchers to state:
“The results showed that simply feeling like you’re part of a team of people working on a task makes people more motivated as they take on challenges.”
Collaboration makes your work better because it:
- Creates self-awareness. When you collaborate with others, you have to explain (and then defend) your ideas. Collaboration is a great way to understand your own thought processes.
- Speeds things up. When you have more people on a task, everyone can use their unique strengths to make the project run smoother…and faster
- Boosts morale. When people don’t trust each other, morale suffers. Regularly working with other people is one of the most effective ways to build trust.
- You never stop learning. Collaboration exposes you to new skillsets and experiences. That fresh perspective triggers the creativity for everyone involved.
Still a bit nervous to reach out and collaborate with someone?
Here are 45 collaboration quotes from real people (sorry, Captain America) who know that behind every great person…are a bunch of other people.
45 Collaboration Quotes to remind you that if you work together, you work better
1. “As you navigate through the rest of your life, be open to collaboration. Other people and other people’s ideas are often better than your own. Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you, spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life.” – Amy Poehler
2. “If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.” – Henry Ford
3. “None of us is as smart as all of us.” – Ken Blanchard
4. “There is no such thing as a self-made man. You will reach your goals only with the help of others.” – George Shinn
5. “The fun for me in collaboration is, one, working with other people just makes you smarter; that’s proven.” – Lin-Manuel Miranda
6. “Strategy is not a solo sport, even if you’re the CEO.” – Max McKeown
7. “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.” – Mark Twain
8. “If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” – Isaac Newton
9. “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships.” – Michael Jordan
10. “It is the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) that those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed.” – Charles Darwin
11. “We may have all come on different ships, but we’re in the same boat now.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
12. “A strong team can take any crazy vision and turn it into reality.” – John Carmack
13. “I think that part of the reason I like collaboration so much is because it’s something unexpected coming in, and you have to stretch yourself to absorb it.” – Sheila Heti
14. “Many of us are more capable than some of us, but none of us is as capable as all of us.” – Tom Wilson
15. “The whole point of collaboration is that you give and take from each other, and that’s how you create things that are totally new.” – Virgil Abloh
16. “If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.” – Booker T. Washington
17. “Teamwork is the secret that makes common people achieve uncommon results.” – Ifeanyi Onuoha
18. “No one can whistle a symphony. It takes a whole orchestra to play it.” – H.E. Luccock
19. “My model for business is The Beatles. They were four guys who kept each other’s kind of negative tendencies in check. They balanced each other and the total was greater than the sum of its parts. That’s how I see business: great things in business are never done by one person. They’re done by a team of people.” – Steve Jobs
20. “It takes both sides to build a bridge.” – Frederik Nael
21. “People achieve more as a result of working with others than against them.” – Dr. Allan Fromme
22. “Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean.” – Ryunosuke Satoro
23. “A group becomes a team when each member is sure enough of himself and his contribution to praise the skills of others.” – Norman Shidle
24. “Cooperation is the thorough conviction that nobody can get there unless everybody gets there.” – Virginia Burden
25. “It takes two flints to make a fire.” – Louisa May Alcott
26. “Teamwork begins by building trust. And the only way to do that is to overcome our need for invulnerability.” – Patrick Lencioni
27. “When at a crossroad, a team can choose to either amplify their chances for success by traveling a path together or amplify their risk of failure by choosing to go it alone.” – Moira Alexander
28. “The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don’t play together, the club won’t be worth a dime.” – Babe Ruth
29. “The main ingredient of stardom is the rest of the team.” – John Wooden
30. “Teamwork makes the dream work.” – Bang Gae
31. “The way to achieve your own success is to be willing to help somebody else get it first.” – Iyanla Vanzant
32. “Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than the one where they sprang up.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
33. “Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success.” – Henry Ford
34. “The whole is other than the sum of the parts.” – Kurt Koffka
35. “Your corn is ripe today; mine will be so tomorrow. ‘Tis profitable for us both, that I should labour with you today, and that you should aid me tomorrow.” – David Hume
36. “I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” – Mother Teresa
37. “It is amazing how much people can get done if they do not worry about who gets the credit.” – Sandra Swinney
38. “Many hands make light work.” – John Heywood
39. “Collaboration is an important part of the process, and ego is never a part of it.” – Mack Wilberg
40. “The secret is to gang up on the problem, rather than each other.” – Thomas Stallkamp
41. “Life is not a solo act. It’s a huge collaboration, and we all need to assemble around us the people who care about us and support us in times of strife.” – Tim Gunn
42. “A good collaboration pushes the boundaries of both partners.” – Neil Blumenthal
43. “Entrepreneurs have a natural inclination to go it alone. While this do-it-yourself spirit can help you move forward, adding an element of collaboration into the mix can make you unstoppable.” – Leah Busque
44. “One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.” – Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
45. “Until all of us have made it, none of us have made it.” – Rosemary Brown