Today, there are a plethora of incredible options when it comes to choosing an e-commerce platform. It can almost make it hard to decide which one most suits your business.
Whether you’re an aspiring entrepreneur or a seasoned business owner looking to expand your reach, it doesn’t have to be hard to choose a solution. In this article, we’ll explore the best e-commerce platforms available in the market today and talk about their features, functionalities, and unique offerings so you feel empowered to make the right decision.
What is an e-commerce platform?
At its core, an e-commerce platform enables businesses to conduct commercial activities online. It serves as a virtual marketplace where digital products and services are showcased, sold, and purchased over the internet. These platforms are designed with various tools and features that facilitate seamless transactions, making it possible for consumers to browse products, add them to a virtual shopping cart, and securely complete the purchase process, all from the comfort of their homes.
E-commerce platforms come in diverse forms, catering to a wide array of businesses, from small startups to multinational corporations. You can even choose an e-commerce marketing automation tool that will further streamline the customer experience, giving you the ability to reach out at the right time, follow up with product recommendations, and segment customers based on demographic information like location, interests, and age.
To elaborate, imagine you own a boutique selling handmade crafts. Through an e-commerce platform, you can create a professional website showcasing your physical products. Customers visiting your site can browse through these offerings, view detailed product descriptions, and high-quality images. They can then make purchases directly through the platform, choosing their preferred payment methods, such as credit cards or digital wallets. Behind the scenes, the e-commerce platform manages inventory, processes payments securely, and generates invoices. It also provides crucial data, offering customer behavior analytics, allowing you to tailor your e-commerce marketing strategies and enhance the shopping experience.
What are the benefits of using an e-commerce platform?
Using an e-commerce platform offers a multitude of benefits, making it an essential tool for businesses looking to thrive in the digital age.
Some of the key advantages include:
- Global reach: E-commerce platforms break down geographical boundaries, allowing businesses to reach a global audience. This expanded market reach means that even small or niche businesses can tap into a vast customer base, increasing their potential for growth and revenue.
- Convenience: Online shopping is incredibly convenient for customers. They can browse digital or physical products, compare prices, and make purchases from the comfort of their homes or on-the-go via mobile apps. This convenience fosters customer loyalty and encourages repeat business.
- Cost-efficiency: Operating an online business is often more cost-effective than maintaining a physical storefront. Businesses can save on expenses such as rent, utilities, and in-store personnel. This cost efficiency translates into higher profit margins.
- Personalization: E-commerce platforms collect data on customer behavior, enabling businesses to personalize the shopping experience. This personalization includes product recommendations based on previous purchases, tailored promotions, and a user-friendly interface that makes it easy for customers to find what they need.
- Analytics and insights: These platforms provide valuable data and analytics, allowing businesses to gain insights into customer behavior, preferences, and trends. This data-driven approach empowers businesses to make informed decisions, optimize their marketing strategies, and adapt to changing market dynamics.
- Scalability: E-commerce platforms are highly scalable, making it easy for businesses to expand as they grow. Whether it’s adding new digital products, serving more customers, or even entering new markets, these platforms can adapt to the evolving needs of the business.
- 24/7 availability: Online stores are open 24/7, allowing customers to shop at any time. This constant accessibility accommodates different time zones and varying schedules, increasing sales potential.
- Reduced overhead: With streamlined inventory management and automated processes, e-commerce platforms reduce the need for manual labor and paperwork, further lowering operational costs.
- Easy marketing integration: These platforms often integrate seamlessly with various marketing tools and channels, enabling businesses to execute effective digital marketing campaigns, such as email marketing, social media advertising, and search engine optimization, all from a centralized dashboard.
- Enhanced customer service: Many e-commerce software platforms offer features like live chat and chatbots, improving customer service. These tools provide instant assistance to customers, addressing inquiries and concerns promptly.
How to choose the best e-commerce platform for your business
Choosing the right e-commerce platform for your business is a critical decision that can significantly impact the success you find selling your digital or physical products and services online.
To make an informed choice, consider the following primary considerations:
- Nature of your business: Consider the type of products or services you offer. Some platforms are better suited for specific industries. For instance, if you’re selling digital products like software or e-books, platforms with secure digital delivery features are crucial. If you have a large inventory with diverse products, you’ll need a platform that can handle complex catalogs efficiently.
- Scalability and growth: Think about your long-term goals. A platform that is easily scalable allows your business to grow without major disruptions. Consider how well the platform can accommodate increased traffic, digital products, and transactions as your business expands.
- User experience: The user interface and experience are paramount. Your platform should be intuitive and easy to navigate for both you, the administrator, and your customers. Responsive design, mobile compatibility, and fast loading times are essential for retaining visitors and converting them into customers.
- Payment and security: Ensure the platform supports multiple payment gateways and provides a secure checkout process. Customers need to feel confident about entering their payment information. Look for platforms that are PCI DSS compliant and prioritize data encryption and other security measures to protect sensitive customer data.
- Customization and flexibility: Every business is unique. Choose a platform that allows for customization to reflect your brand identity. Templates and themes should be adaptable, and the platform should allow you to add features or integrate third-party apps easily.
- Costs and fees: Consider your budget carefully. E-commerce platforms come with various pricing structures – some charge a monthly fee, while others take a percentage of your sales. Factor in not only the initial setup costs but also the long-term expenses as your business grows.
- Support and resources: Evaluate the level of customer support the platform offers. Reliable customer support is essential when you encounter issues or need assistance. Additionally, assess the availability of resources like tutorials, forums, and documentation. These resources can be invaluable for troubleshooting problems and optimizing your store.
- SEO and marketing tools: An effective e-commerce platform should have built-in SEO features and marketing tools. Look for platforms that allow you to optimize product listings for search engines and integrate seamlessly with email marketing, social media, and other digital marketing strategies.
The best e-commerce platforms for 2024
Today, there are dozens of options when choosing an e-commerce platform for your business. These are our top picks for 2024.
G2 Rank: 4.4/5 stars
Shopify stands as a top pick in the world of e-commerce platforms, renowned for its exceptional features and user-friendly interface. It stands out because of its versatility, ability to handle the entire spectrum of e-commerce needs, and focus on simplifying the complexities of online retail. The platform empowers users with powerful tools yet ensures accessibility and ease of use.
Features that make Shopify stand out include:
- Extensive app store: Shopify offers a vast array of third-party apps and plugins that enable users to enhance their store’s functionality, from marketing and sales to customer service and analytics.
- Customizable templates: The platform provides professionally designed templates that are highly customizable, allowing businesses to create visually appealing and unique online storefronts without the need for extensive coding knowledge.
- Secure payment gateways: Shopify ensures secure transactions by integrating with multiple payment gateways, offering customers various payment options while maintaining robust security measures.
- Mobile optimization: Shopify’s responsive design ensures seamless browsing and shopping experiences across various devices, catering to the growing number of mobile shoppers.
- 24/7 customer support: The platform offers round-the-clock customer support, assisting users with any issues they may encounter, thereby ensuring a smooth operational experience.
Primarily, Shopify caters to entrepreneurs and businesses that prioritize user-friendliness and a hassle-free setup process. Its intuitive interface and rich features make it an ideal choice for those starting their e-commerce journey, while its scalability and extensive customization options cater to the needs of growing businesses, making Shopify one of the best e-commerce platforms available in the market.
What languages does Shopify support?
Shopify supports a long list of languages including but not limited to Chinese (Simplified and Traditional, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, and Japanese.
Which currencies does Shopify accept?
Shopify accepts a long list of currencies including but not limited to the US Dollar (USD), Canadian Dollar (CAD), Australian Dollar (AUD), Brazilian Real (BRL), Euro (EUR), British Pound (GBP), and more.
What is the entry-level pricing for Shopify?
Shopify’s entry-level pricing starts at $29 per month, paid annually. With this plan, you get unlimited product listings, 24/7 support, sales channels, manual order creation, discount codes, abandoned shopping cart recovery, customer segmentation, and more.
Find all plans on the Shopify pricing page.
Shopify integrates directly with ActiveCampaign.
When integrated, you’re able to use purchase behavior to turn first-time buyers into repeat customers and automatically send discount offers to first-time buyers a set time after their first purchase. Learn why pairing an e-commerce platform with a marketing automation solution is a smart decision that’ll wow your customers through the entire buying process.
Click here to learn more.
G2 Rank: 4.4/5 stars
WooCommerce has earned its reputation as one of the top e-commerce platforms, especially for businesses leveraging WordPress websites. Its seamless integration with WordPress gives it a distinctive edge and the platform is highly customizable to the unique needs of each business.
WooCommerce’s stand-out features include:
- WordPress integration: WooCommerce seamlessly integrates with WordPress, allowing businesses to add e-commerce functionality to their existing websites, leveraging the power of both platforms.
- Extensive customization: The platform offers a wide array of themes and plugins, enabling users to customize their stores extensively. From unique product displays to personalized checkout processes, WooCommerce provides the tools for businesses to create tailored shopping experiences.
- Scalability: WooCommerce’s scalability ensures that businesses can start small and expand their online stores as they grow. It accommodates a growing product catalog and increasing customer base effectively.
- Community and support: With a vast community of users and developers, WooCommerce benefits from a wealth of resources. Users can access forums, tutorials, and expert advice, fostering a collaborative environment.
- Built-in blogging: WooCommerce incorporates blogging capabilities, allowing businesses to combine their online store with engaging content. This integrated approach enhances SEO and customer engagement.
WooCommerce primarily caters to businesses and entrepreneurs who already have or prefer to use WordPress as their content management system. Its appeal lies in its open-source nature, extensive customization options, and the ability to create sophisticated, feature-rich online stores within the familiar WordPress environment.
What languages does WooCommerce support?
WooCommerce supports a wide range of languages including Korean, Russian, English, Chinese, French, Spanish, German, Arabic, Portuguese, Italian, and more.
What currencies does WooCommerce accept?
WooCommerce accepts a number of currencies including the US Dollar (USD), Euro (EUR), British Pound (GBP), Australian Dollar (AUD), Canadian Dollar (CAD), Japanese Yen (JPY), Hong Kong Dollar (HKD), Polish Złoty (PLN), and more.
What is the entry-level pricing for WooCommerce?
WooCommerce does not provide set pricing. In fact, WooCommerce is a plugin, so you’ll need a WordPress site to get started.
For more information, visit this page on WooCommerce pricing.
Does WooCommerce integrate with ActiveCampaign?
Yes, WooCommerce integrates with ActiveCampaign. When you integrate, you can segment email campaigns and automations by purchase behavior and shopper demographics, Use conditional content to send shoppers product recommendations based on their past purchases, use abandoned shopping cart email automations to increase purchase-completion rate, and much more.
For more details, visit the ActiveCampaign and WooCommerce integration page.
G2 Rank: 4.2/5 stars
BigCommerce is on this list because of its robust features and user-friendly interface. Its flexible architecture allows businesses to expand their product offerings, handle increased website traffic, and seamlessly integrate with various third-party apps as they evolve. BigCommerce boasts a comprehensive suite of built-in tools, ensuring that businesses can manage every aspect of their online store efficiently.
Key features of BigCommerce:
- Multi-channel selling: BigCommerce enables businesses to sell digital products not only through their online store but also across various online marketplaces and social media platforms, expanding their reach to a wider audience.
- Enterprise-grade security: The platform prioritizes security, offering features like SSL certification and PCI DSS compliance, ensuring that customer data and transactions are protected at the highest level.
- Conversion optimization: BigCommerce provides features aimed at increasing conversion rates, such as one-page checkout, abandoned shopping cart recovery, and product recommendations, enhancing the overall shopping experience for customers.
- Flexible product management: Businesses can easily manage their product catalogs, including options for product variants, discounts, and inventory tracking, providing a seamless shopping experience for customers.
- Advanced analytics: BigCommerce offers robust analytics and reporting tools, allowing businesses to gain valuable insights into customer behavior, sales trends, and marketing effectiveness, aiding data-driven decision-making.
BigCommerce caters to businesses of all sizes, particularly those with a focus on growth and expansion. Its user-friendly interface makes it accessible to beginners, while its advanced features and scalability meet the demands of larger enterprises making it a comprehensive solution that empowers businesses to thrive in the competitive online market.
What languages does BigCommerce support?
BigCommerce supports multiple languages including English, German, French, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, and more.
What currencies does BigCommerce accept?
BigCommerce accepts payment in a multitude of currencies including the US Dollar (USD), Euro (EUR), Great British Pound (GBP), Australian Dollar (AUD), Canadian Dollar (CAD), Japanese Yen (JPY), and more.
BigCommerce also supports multi-currency.
What is the entry-level pricing for BigCommerce?
BigCommerce entry-level pricing plan starts at $29 per month paid annually. This Standard plan grants you access to features like unlimited products, unlimited staff accounts, up to three multi-storefronts, the BigCommerce mobile app, single-page checkout, professional reporting tools, sitewide HTTPs and dedicated SSL, a built-in blog, and more.
Find more information on the BigCommerce pricing page.
Does BigCommerce integrate with ActiveCampaign?
Yes. When you integrate BigCommerce with ActiveCampaign, you’ll be able to pass your customer information right into your ActiveCampaign contact records and automations. Plus, in ActiveCampaign you can build re-engagement campaigns coupled with tags to powerfully segment your desired audience.
Find more information on the ActiveCampaign and BigCommerce integration page.
Adobe Commerce (formerly Magento)
G2 Rank: 4/5 stars
Powered by Adobe’s extensive resources, Adobe Commerce is a leading e-commerce platform because of its comprehensive suite of advanced features that empower businesses to create immersive and personalized online shopping experiences. One of its notable strengths lies in its flexibility, allowing businesses to adapt their stores to ever-changing market demands and customer preferences.
Unique features of Adobe Commerce:
- AI-powered personalization: Adobe Commerce integrates advanced AI capabilities that analyze customer behavior, enabling businesses to deliver personalized product recommendations and targeted marketing, enhancing customer engagement and boosting sales.
- Unified commerce: It provides a unified platform that seamlessly integrates online stores with physical retail locations, creating a cohesive shopping experience across various channels. This feature is invaluable for businesses operating both online and brick-and-mortar stores.
- Flexible content management: Adobe Commerce offers a robust content management system that allows businesses to create and manage diverse content types, such as product pages, blogs, and multimedia elements, ensuring a rich and engaging online presence.
- Enterprise-grade security: The platform prioritizes security, incorporating robust measures like SSL encryption, regular security patches, and PCI DSS compliance, ensuring the safety of customer data and transactions.
- Global expansion: Adobe Commerce supports multi-language and multi-currency capabilities, facilitating international expansion for businesses targeting a global audience.
Adobe Commerce caters to mid-sized to large enterprises and is well-suited for companies requiring extensive customization. With its focus on creating seamless and tailored shopping experiences, Adobe Commerce is an excellent choice for businesses aiming to provide exceptional online services to their customers while adapting to the dynamic demands of the modern e-commerce landscape.
What languages does Adobe Commerce support?
Adobe Commerce supports a myriad of languages including English, Dutch, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Korean, German, French, and more.
What is the entry-level pricing for Adobe Commerce?
Adobe Commerce does not provide public pricing plans. You have a choice between two plans, the Adobe Commerce Pro and Managed Services, both of which you will need to inquire about for pricing plans.
Request a quote on Adobe Commerce’s pricing page.
Does Adobe Commerce integrate with ActiveCampaign?
Yes. When you integrate Adobe Commerce with ActiveCampaign, you’ll instantly reduce lost revenue from abandoned carts by using automation triggers that re-engage the customer after they’ve abandoned their cart. You can pass customer, order, and cart data to ActiveCampaign so you can learn about your customer and created pointed, relevant marketing that speaks to them.
See additional details on the Adobe Commerce and ActiveCampaign integration page.
G2 Rank: 4.2/5 stars
Wix has earned its reputation as one of the best e-commerce platforms due to its user-friendly interface and versatility. It stands out for its drag-and-drop website builder, making it exceptionally easy for individuals and small businesses to create stunning online stores without the need for coding skills.
Unique features of Wix:
- Drag-and-drop builder: Wix offers a user-friendly drag-and-drop interface, allowing users to design their websites by simply moving elements around the page, making it accessible to beginners and those without technical expertise.
- Artificial design intelligence (ADI): Wix ADI analyzes your preferences and content to create a personalized website template, providing a tailored starting point for your online store.
- App market: Wix’s extensive app market offers a wide range of add-ons and extensions, allowing users to integrate advanced features like live chat, social media feeds, and marketing tools into their websites seamlessly.
- Mobile optimization: All Wix templates are mobile-responsive, ensuring that online stores look and function flawlessly on various devices, catering to the growing number of mobile shoppers.
- Wix stores: Wix’s e-commerce platform, Wix Stores, provides essential online store features, including product galleries, inventory management, secure credit card payment processing, and customizable product pages.
Wix primarily caters to small to medium-sized businesses looking for a simple and visually appealing way to establish their online presence. Its intuitive interface and design flexibility make it an excellent choice for creative professionals, artists, boutique business owners, and service-based businesses.
What languages does Wix support?
Wix supports a list of languages including but not limited to English, German, French, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, and more.
What currencies does Wix accept?
Wix accepts most languages and will automatically connect you to the most suitable online payment provider available in your region based on your preferences and location. You’re also able to change your payment provider if you wish to. Common payment providers include PayPal, Stripe, Square, Alipay, Rakuten, Klarna, Braintree, Afterpay, Skrill, Tilopay, and more.
See further details on this page.
What is the entry-level pricing for Wix?
Wix starts at an entry-level price of $16 per month. This Light plan allows you to have two collaborators, 2GB of storage space, the Light marketing suite, 30 minutes of video, customized branding, and a custom domain. Advanced features can be added with other plans.
See all details on the Wix pricing page.
Does Wix integrate with Shopify?
No. Wix does not currently integrate with ActiveCampaign.
G2 Rank: 4.4/5 stars
Squarespace is included on this list because of its seamless blend of elegant design templates and robust e-commerce functionality. It stands out for its visually appealing and artistically crafted templates, which are particularly popular among creative entrepreneurs, artists, designers, and small businesses.
Unique features of Squarespace:
- Beautiful templates: Squarespace offers a wide selection of beautifully designed templates, catering to various industries and allowing users to create visually striking online stores that reflect their brand identities.
- Integrated blogging: The platform seamlessly integrates blogging capabilities, enabling businesses to combine their online store with engaging content. This integrated approach enhances SEO, fosters customer engagement, and supports content marketing strategies.
- Commerce analytics: Squarespace provides detailed e-commerce analytics, allowing users to track sales, customer behavior, and inventory levels. These insights empower businesses to make data-driven decisions and optimize their marketing and sales strategies.
- Social media integration: Squarespace allows businesses to connect their social media accounts directly to their online stores, facilitating social commerce and enabling users to sell unlimited products directly on platforms like Instagram and Facebook.
Squarespace primarily caters to creative individuals, artists, designers, photographers, and small businesses looking for a visually appealing and easy-to-use platform. Its user-friendly interface, combined with its integrated blogging and social media capabilities, positions it as one of the best e-commerce platforms for individuals and businesses seeking a balance between artistic expression and effective online commerce.
What languages does Squarespace support?
Squarespace supports multiple languages including English, German, Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, and more.
What currencies does Squarespace accept?
For Squarespace, the countries you can sell in and the currency you can accept depend on the payment processor you connect to your store. Your store can only accept one currency at a time with payment providers like Stripe, PayPal, and Square.
See more information here.
What is the entry-level pricing for Squarespace?
Squarespace’s entry-level pricing plan starts at $16 a month paid annually and includes mobile-optimized websites, templates to fit every need, a free custom domain, SEO features, unlimited bandwidth, video hosting, 24/7 customer support, drag-and-drop editor, basic metrics, SSL security, and more.
See all details on the Squarespace pricing page.
Does Squarespace integrate with ActiveCampaign?
Yes. When you connect Squarespace to ActiveCampaign, you’re able to add forms to your website to ensure you follow up with customers at the right times and use forms to field information that helps you identify the leads most likely to convert.
G2 Rank: 4.3/5 stars
Zoho Commerce is one of the leading e-commerce platforms with a comprehensive suite of tools designed to simplify the online selling process. It stands out for its user-friendly interface and seamless integration with other Zoho applications, creating a unified ecosystem for businesses. One of its key strengths lies in its affordability, making it an attractive choice for budget-conscious businesses seeking advanced e-commerce capabilities without the hefty price tag.
Key features of Zoho Commerce:
- Unified business platform: Zoho Commerce integrates seamlessly with various Zoho applications, including CRM, marketing, and analytics tools, providing businesses with a unified platform to manage their entire online operations.
- Multi-channel selling: The platform allows businesses to sell products not only on their websites but also across multiple online marketplaces and social media platforms, expanding their reach and customer base.
- Advanced inventory management: Zoho Commerce offers robust inventory management features, enabling businesses to track stock levels, automate reorder processes, and manage product variations efficiently.
- Built-in analytics: The platform provides detailed analytics and reporting tools, allowing businesses to gain insights into sales trends, customer behavior, and marketing effectiveness, enabling data-driven decision-making.
- Customizable templates: Zoho Commerce offers customizable templates, allowing businesses to create unique and visually appealing online storefronts that align with their brand identities.
Zoho Commerce is a great option for small and medium-sized businesses that are looking for a comprehensive yet affordable e-commerce solution. Its user-friendly interface and integration capabilities make it an excellent choice for entrepreneurs and businesses looking to streamline their online operations. Zoho Commerce has positioned itself as an e-commerce platform for businesses aiming to optimize their online selling experience while staying within budget constraints.
What languages does Zoho Commerce support?
Zoho Commerce supports English, French, German, Arabic, Portuguese, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Thai, Vietnamese, and more.
What currencies does Zoho Commerce accept?
Zoho Commerce accepts a long list of currencies including the US Dollar (USD), Euro (EUR), British Pound (GBP), Australian Dollar (AUD), Colombian Peso (COP), Brazilian Real (BRL), Chinese Yuan (CNY), Danish Krone (DKK), Hong Kong Dollar (HKD), Japanese Yen (JPY), and more.
What is the entry-level pricing for Zoho Commerce?
Zoho Commerce starts at an entry-level price of $22 a month billed annually. This Starter plan includes a responsive website builder, free hosting with SSL, 50GB of file storage, newsletter subscriptions, unlimited bandwidth, customer and sales reports, abandoned cart emails, 2,000 products, and up to 10 campaign pages.
See all plans on the Zoho Commerce pricing page.
Does Zoho Commerce integrate with ActiveCampaign?
No, Zoho Commerce does not integrate with ActiveCampaign although Zoho’s other products like Zoho CRM, Zoho Creator, Zoho Forms, Zoho Mail, Zoho Invoices, and Zoho Recruit can be connected to ActiveCampaign.
Make the right choice
Choosing the right e-commerce platform is crucial for any online business. It forms the basis of your digital store, impacting user satisfaction, sales, and business growth. A suitable platform ensures efficiency, adaptability, and a secure shopping experience.
Whether you’re a small business or a large enterprise, we hope we’ve helped guide you to select a platform that matches your needs and helps you navigate the digital market effectively. A truly great e-commerce platform will maximize your online potential and ensure your success in the competitive online landscape.
ActiveCampaign can be a great e-commerce automation partner, able to take important customer data and turn it into an incredible customer experience by enabling you to reach out at the right time and engage your customers with relevant content, offers, and discount codes. Stop losing customers with a lack of personalization and care. Start using ActiveCampaign today and connect your tech stack seamlessly. By the way, we have over 920+ integrations.
Already have an e-commerce strategy in motion?