Experts often use webinars to promote their products and services. It’s a popular form of promotion for good reason — it’s a great way to give information in an engaging, interactive format.
It’s fairly simple to offer twice monthly live-sessions through GoToWebinar. You can teach a little bit and then your audience can ask questions, and express concerns, creating an interactive experience — like a live Q&A session with an expert.
Webinars attract attendees that become leads. During the webinars you can get them interested in other products and services like, packaged video lessons, books, and 1-1 online teaching sessions.
To run a successful webinar series, you should:
- Automate as much as possible, so you have more time to do webinars and focus on growing your email list (the most reliable and profitable source of income for many solopreneurs).
- Keep track of what email campaigns and offers each of your contacts has received so they aren’t getting the same offer over and over and they are aware of everything you offer.
- See what contacts and products are creating the most revenue so you can create more offers and increase backend sales.
In this use case you’ll see how ActiveCampaign, along with other third-party tools, can help you automate all your marketing activity and reach your sales goals.
The campaign and the ActiveCampaign features used to create it
To be more professional: Stop using canned responses in Gmail.
As your email list grows, you’ll find it becomes more and more difficult to manage your contacts, keep track of who received what, and you’ll end up wasting valuable time. An integrated email marketing and marketing automation platform like ActiveCampaign will make it easy for you to manage your contacts, split your contacts into segments so you can send very targeted offers, and automate many routine tasks so you save time.
How to set up automated invitations for future webinars
ActiveCampaign integrates with a couple webinar tools like GotoWebinar and StealthWebinar. Getting ActiveCampaign to communicate with GotoWebinar is a matter of setting up a simple zap through Zapier:
A common webinar marketing workflow is usually something like:
- Every time there is ‘new registrant’ for an upcoming webinar, add him automatically to the ActiveCampaign emailing list.
- Every time there is ‘new attendant’ – those that effectively log to watch one of his webinars, apply the tag ‘attendedWebinar’ on their profile, so you can filter your list by past attendance. This can be really useful for instance to differentiate those that leave just an email versus those that leave an email, and then find the time to attend your webinar (in other words, those that are somehow interested in what you offer versus those that are really interested).
- Every time you create a new webinar in GoToWebinar, a campaign is created from a template of the previous one.
With Zapier, syncing GotoWebinar and ActiveCampaign is automatic — you don’t have to do anything. With this one-time configuration you can save 2 or 3 hours per week.
How to setup notifications and specific follow-ups for those that are more profitable
→ Setting up Shopify to pass info about new orders into ActiveCampaign
Many people use Shopify as their shopping cart and e-commerce solution because it provides so many easy-to-use features. There are other alternatives such WooCommerce (if, for instance, you are running a shop within a WordPress blog) or Samcart. Some users prefer to build a custom shop and link it with a payment gateway such PayPal or Stripe, which also integrate with ActiveCampaign.
Integrating Shopify and ActiveCampaign allows you to get all the info about contacts that have performed a purchase in his shop and are already members of his email list. This way he gets more data when a contact becomes a customer. This same integration also allows him to add a new contact if they weren’t on his email list before.
With this additional data parsed through the Shopify checkout, you can better personalize your email campaigns and, because you now have their phone number, you can use ActiveCampaign’s SMS marketing so you have another way to communicate with your contacts besides email marketing.
You can set up Automations in ActiveCampaign that are triggered immediately when Shopify passes in order information. These automations could automatically send out an email that includes a download link for the product the customer just purchased.
Setting this up is a simple 2-step process:
- You need to configure several similar zaps between Shopify and ActiveCampaign, but each one of them will have a different filter (something you can setup in the step 4).
- All of the zaps will get activated every time there is a new purchase but only one of them would complete the whole process because the filter will block those purchase that don’t match.
Using the ‘item name’ field in Shopify makes it so this zap is only triggered when the product that has been bought matches this condition. If this is the case, the customer will get a tag also with ‘item name’ as can be seen in the following screenshot.
This tag will trigger an automation in which you can include an email with the link to download the plugin or other digital product.
→ Setting up lead scoring to identify your most profitable contacts
Many people have no good way of tracking which contacts are purchasing (and which aren’t), how much they are purchasing, and which products they are purchasing. An integrated tool like ActiveCampaign can help you gather this valuable intelligence.
Using our lead scoring feature, you can configure something like that easily. A lead scoring system automatically assigns a ‘score’ to contacts after they complete certain actions you define. For instance, let’s say you want to give 30 points to everyone who purchases a plugin. This lead scoring looks like this:
And repeating the whole configuration for each one of the plugins:
Having a separate score for each of the plugins allows you to easily identify how many purchases his customers have made based on whether their lead score is 30, 60 or 90. With this information you can segment your customers by number of purchases.
→ Monthly automations for those who are filtered by the leads score
Once you know who your more profitable customers are, you may want to send targeted campaigns that include better deals such as customer-only discounts. If they have already bought at least once or twice, they are probably satisfied, repeat customers and so are likely to buy something again.
The initial part of the automation that is triggered when a contact surpasses the 29 points in his scoring, looks like this:
This automation waits 3 days after it starts because a different automation delivered the plugin via email and you wouldn’t want to flood the customer’s inbox. By spacing out your messages you will improve your open rates, click-through-rates, reputation, etc.
The first part of this automation sends an email with a discount to buy another item from an online store.
After sending that first email with the discount:
- The automation checks if the customer has bought (or not) one of the two other plugins.
- If they have, in 10 days the two-time customer will receive another email with a bigger discount to get a package with all the video tutorials pack.
- If not, the automation will send another email with an extension of the discount code for 24 hours (at the same percentage), and then will wait for one day to see if the customer finally bought it. If that does not happen, the automation will move the contact to the ‘Yes’ path, and then send him the ‘video tutorials package offer’ in case he is more interested in that product rather than in the plugin product.
The automation can end wherever you want. In the image below we have included some blocks that indicate the ‘End of each automation’ but we could add many other actions instead of stoping the automation there.
You may be able to save some money each month by using a free email provider that gives you 2500 emails each month, but it may end up costing you a lot more in terms of lost time and lost sales. To simply send your campaigns to the right recipients can become an arduous, confusing process. Manually sending those emails could easily take up to 4-5 hours of time. With a platform like ActiveCampaign with advanced contact and list management tools, you can spend that time creating new video tutorials, products, and offers.
Switching all your email marketing activity into ActiveCampaign will allow you to reinvest your precious time more wisely. It also allows you to:
- Get all the information about your contacts in one centralized location. You will know exactly who has received an email, how many times a contact has opened specific campaigns, the number of webinars a contact has attended, the video-tutorials or plugins a contact has purchased, and more. All the information you need about your contacts is consolidated into a single screen and you are able to use this data to segment your list and send very targeted campaigns based on how these contacts have interacted with your marketing and offers.
- To maximize the sale opportunities a contact gets without having to run individual or manual campaigns. All your email marketing can be automated and begin as soon as the contact is subscribed to the master list — whether you are working or not.
- You no longer have to waste time preparing for webinars and setting things up since it’s all automated from the moment you creates a new webinar in Gotowebinar.